MONONA, Wis. - A group of Madison-area turkey hunters is raising money to provide needy families with turkeys this Thanksgiving.
Members of the Mad City Gobblers collected donations at six area grocery stores Saturday. The money will be used to buy turkeys and deliver them to several local food pantries, including Second Harvest and the McFarland Food Pantry.
Bill Alber, from Mad City Gobblers, said they're happy to give back.
"The need is so great in our community. From the Middleton Outreach Ministry on the west side to the Badger Prairie on the south side to The River and the Goodman Center and the Middleton Food Pantry, they all have greater needs every year," Alber said.
The group will be at several grocery stores Sunday raising money from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. The stores are:
- Pick'n Save, 5701 Hwy. 51, McFarland
- Pick'n Save, 3010 Cahill Main, Fitchburg
- Pick'n Save, 261 Junction Road, Madison
- Pick'n Save, 6800 Century Ave., Middleton
- Pick'n Save, 6540 Monona Drive, Monona
- Metro Market, 6010 Cottage Grove Road, Madison
Last year, the group was able to provide more than 2,000 turkeys to those in need.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend