SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. - The new UW Health Hospital at the American Center is set to open at the end of summer on Madison's east side, and one local business is making a big donation to help - but it's more unique than your typical money contribution.
The Piano Gal Shop in downtown Sun Prairie has committed to donating a piano to the new hospital, valued at about $5,000. Owner Marta Hanson says her decision stems from the belief that music can help heal.
"It can bring nostalgia, it can bring hope, it can bring peace - it can bring so many feelings just by the soothing sounds, by the feel of the keys," Hanson says.
The piano will move into its new home in June, where UW Health's music volunteer program - currently only at its downtown campus location - can expand.
"The piano really fits into the healing environment that we'd like to promote here at UW Health at the American Center," says Mandy Kron, UW Health's art coordinator.
"This is a location where music can be incredibly beneficial for everyone that comes across that piano," Hanson says. "It's pretty inexplicable what that music can do for a person's soul, and for their mind."
To help foot the cost, The Piano Gal Shop is holding a dueling pianos fundraiser at Buck & Honey's Tuesday, May 19 at 6 p.m. The new UW Health campus opens to patients Aug. 17.
- Do Something Good: Filling a need ... and tummies
- Harry Potter fans curse over Jefferson festival
- Former U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold to teach UW-Madison course
- Consumer Reports: 2017 most & least reliable cars
- Elementary school kids celebrate local woman's 85th birthday
- GAO says climate change already costing US billions in losses