MADISON, Wis. - A Wisconsin state lawmaker has a plan to get food stamp users to eat healthier -- whether they want to or not.
The proposal's author, Republican Rep. Dean Kaufert, said he wants people to spend more of their aid on foods with more nutritional value, such as bread and soups, and less on things like snacks and chips.
The proposal would have the state Department of Health Services set up guidelines that require a certain amount of benefits be spent on healthy foods.
Health experts said such requirements are unfair and probably wouldn't work.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire