JUNEAU, Wis. - A 24-year-old Lake Mills woman was killed in a snowmobile crash in Dodge County on Sunday, according to the Dodge County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies were called to a frozen river next to the N3000 block of County Road BB in 4:21 p.m. for a report of a snowmobile crash.
Investigators said six snowmobiles were traveling south on the frozen river when the second snowmobile, driven by Katie Braasch, went into an open water area and began a clockwise slide and struck trees near the east side of the river.
MedFlight was called and Braasch was pronounced dead at the scene.
Ryan Fleck, 26, of Sun Prairie , who was driving the snowmobile behind Braasch, saw the crash and jumped off his snowmobile, deputies said. The snowmobile struck trees near where the first snowmobile struck. Fleck was flown to University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison for treatment of severe but non-life-threatening injuries.
None of the other four snowmobiles were involved in the crash.
Lifestar Ambulance, the Columbus Fire Department and MedFlight assisted at the scene.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says