LA CROSSE, Wis. - Educators at a La Crosse elementary school are considering plans for a year-round academic calendar.
School officials at Hamilton Early Learning Center will provide an update Monday on plans to shorten the summer break to six weeks. The rest of the year would alternate between nine weeks of school and three weeks of down-time.
Hamilton Principal Steve Michaels said a longer summer break causes students to regress too much.
Randy Nelson is the superintendent of the La Crosse School District. He says one complication involves Hamilton educators who work in other buildings. He said it's possible different staffers could be working on two different calendars.
A La Crosse Tribune report said school officials met with parents this spring, and expect more community meetings before a new calendar is adopted.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend