LA CROSSE, Wis. - A 25-year-old La Crosse man was cited after he climbed a public tree downtown, broke a branch and said he was "paying the tree back" early Saturday morning.
La Crosse police say an officer was walking downtown at about 2:55 a.m. Saturday near Qdoba when he saw a large group of people watch Mitchel Pfaff climb a tree.
Police say once Pfaff was up the tree, he broke a branch off and threw it to the ground. He told police he was "paying the tree back" because his friend climbed the tree then fell and cracked his head open. Pfaff said that incident had happened 2-3 years ago.
La Crosse police cited Pfaff for disorderly conduct and damage to property.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need