MADISON, Wis. - A plea of not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect was entered Monday in the case of Jaren Kuester.
Kuester is accused of killing Gary Thoreson, his wife, Chloe Thoreson, and brother, Dean Thoreson, in April at the couple's farmhouse in the small town of Wiota.
Kuester's attorney, Guy Taylor, entered the plea on behalf of Kuester, who told the judge he understood the plea.
The mental health evaluation from Mendota Mental Health has been sealed.
The trial has been set for mid-October.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls