MADISON, Wis. - A 30-year-old Madison woman was arrested after motorists reported finding children darting into traffic.
Police were called to the 4700 block of Cottage Grove Road at 6:50 p.m. Friday when a concerned motorist stopped to find out why three children were near the road.
She said she hit her brakes to miss hitting a 2-year-old girl. The girl was with two boys, ages 5 and 6.
The 41-year-old woman told police she gave the oldest boy her coat and shoes to wear because he wasn't wearing any.
She said she tried finding the children's mother before calling police.
Police said it took 45 minutes for them to find the children's mother, who they said was in a nearby apartment drinking alcohol with a friend. She told the officer she had lost track of time.
The woman was arrested on three counts of neglecting a child.
The children were placed with a relative.
- Two people shot at while in a car on Madison's east side
- Dick's Sporting Goods windows smashed, teen arrested
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'