MADISON, Wis. - A 30-year-old Madison woman was arrested after motorists reported finding children darting into traffic.
Police were called to the 4700 block of Cottage Grove Road at 6:50 p.m. Friday when a concerned motorist stopped to find out why three children were near the road.
She said she hit her brakes to miss hitting a 2-year-old girl. The girl was with two boys, ages 5 and 6.
The 41-year-old woman told police she gave the oldest boy her coat and shoes to wear because he wasn't wearing any.
She said she tried finding the children's mother before calling police.
Police said it took 45 minutes for them to find the children's mother, who they said was in a nearby apartment drinking alcohol with a friend. She told the officer she had lost track of time.
The woman was arrested on three counts of neglecting a child.
The children were placed with a relative.
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Judge properly moved teen into adult system to protect him
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Hundreds of thousands of candies blanket Dodge County road, sheriff says
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head