WISCONSIN DELLS, Wis. - A tip led Wisconsin Dells police to a juvenile who admitted to leaving clothes in the Wisconsin River following a search effort by authorities.
A dive team was deployed Thursday morning, and found no evidence other than the clothing.
The juvenile admitted to falling into the river and disrobing in order to climb out. The juvenile was cited for underage consumption of alcohol and disorderly conduct. Authorities believe alcohol was a factor.
Wisconsin Dells officers and a Kilbourn Fire Department rescue boat responded to the waterfront area near Santorini Village Hotel at about 1:40 a.m. to search for a person reported in the water, according to a news release.
The initial call to police came from a hotel guest who said they heard someone was in the river because people were heard outside stating so, according to a report.
Police Chief Jody Ward said several clothing items were found in the water near River Walk Pub but no identification was found. The Columbia County Sheriff's Department dive team also conducted a search of the water, Ward said, but no more evidence was found.
PHOTOS: Dive team searches river
- Police find 20 bullet casings in far east side park
- Detectives seek help identifying burglar in surveillance pics
- Bill would limit influence of unions on public project bids
- Dane County inmate who was AWOL 10 days back in custody
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution