MEQUON, Wis. - An Ozaukee County judge criticized by his spring election opponent for signing a petition to recall the governor has lost his seat on the bench after 19 years.
Attorney Joe Voiland defeated Judge Tom Wolfgram with more than 60 percent of the vote in unofficial returns. Voiland is elected to a six-year term in circuit court.
Wolfgram said his signature on the Scott Walker recall petition would not affect his ability to be an impartial judge. The petition was circulated after a controversial state law was passed that cut collective bargaining for most state employees.
The Journal Sentinel reported Voiland's candidacy was backed by several area Republican lawmakers, including Sen. Alberta Darling and Rep. Jim Ott.
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field
- Gun pointed at driver during road rage incident, deputies say
- Wisconsin family rescued from wave that throws them into tide pool
- New Zealand: Janesville doctor must pay for deadly crash
- Police: Crash leads to fourth OWI arrest
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street