MEQUON, Wis. - An Ozaukee County judge criticized by his spring election opponent for signing a petition to recall the governor has lost his seat on the bench after 19 years.
Attorney Joe Voiland defeated Judge Tom Wolfgram with more than 60 percent of the vote in unofficial returns. Voiland is elected to a six-year term in circuit court.
Wolfgram said his signature on the Scott Walker recall petition would not affect his ability to be an impartial judge. The petition was circulated after a controversial state law was passed that cut collective bargaining for most state employees.
The Journal Sentinel reported Voiland's candidacy was backed by several area Republican lawmakers, including Sen. Alberta Darling and Rep. Jim Ott.
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral