MEQUON, Wis. - An Ozaukee County judge criticized by his spring election opponent for signing a petition to recall the governor has lost his seat on the bench after 19 years.
Attorney Joe Voiland defeated Judge Tom Wolfgram with more than 60 percent of the vote in unofficial returns. Voiland is elected to a six-year term in circuit court.
Wolfgram said his signature on the Scott Walker recall petition would not affect his ability to be an impartial judge. The petition was circulated after a controversial state law was passed that cut collective bargaining for most state employees.
The Journal Sentinel reported Voiland's candidacy was backed by several area Republican lawmakers, including Sen. Alberta Darling and Rep. Jim Ott.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire