MADISON, Wis. - The John Nolen Drive area will soon be under major construction.
The City of Madison is reconstructing two traffic islands, installing a new median and a new storm sewer.
Lane closures are planned in the southbound lanes of John Nolen, the eastbound lanes of North Shore and on eastbound Broom Street.
Engineers said the upgrades are needed to improve the safety of everyone in that area.
Pedestrian and bike crossing at John Nolen will stay the same throughout the construction, so engineers are urging patience from everyone during the project.
"I want to remind drivers to be patient and careful during the construction; also, the bicyclists and the pedestrians to use caution when they're trying to cross the construction zone," said Yang Tao with City of Madison Traffic Engineering.
The city recommends alternate routes during the construction, which will wrap up at the end of August.
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- Find of device that looked like military mortar causes scare
- Lawyers for man charged in killing accuse victim's boyfriend
- 3 hospitalized, displaced in near west side fire