WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is delaying the closing of 149 airport control towers until mid-June in order to deal with legal challenges.
The first 24 closures had been scheduled for Sunday.
Officials at the Rock County Regional Airport confirm the airport tower will now close on June 15. Numerous other airport towers in Wisconsin are also slated to close.
Trade groups representing companies that operate the towers under contract for FAA filed a lawsuit Thursday in federal court in Washington.
The agency says about 50 airport operators and communities have also indicated they may want to pay for operation of the towers themselves, and more time is needed to work out those details.
FAA has previously said the closures are necessary to accommodate automatic spending cuts.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says