WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is delaying the closing of 149 airport control towers until mid-June in order to deal with legal challenges.
The first 24 closures had been scheduled for Sunday.
Officials at the Rock County Regional Airport confirm the airport tower will now close on June 15. Numerous other airport towers in Wisconsin are also slated to close.
Trade groups representing companies that operate the towers under contract for FAA filed a lawsuit Thursday in federal court in Washington.
The agency says about 50 airport operators and communities have also indicated they may want to pay for operation of the towers themselves, and more time is needed to work out those details.
FAA has previously said the closures are necessary to accommodate automatic spending cuts.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls