JANESVILLE, Wis. - A Janesville church plans to erect a 60-foot lighted steel cross where it will be visible from the freeway.
New Life Assembly of God Church says the cross is a gift from the parishioners to the community. A Janesville Gazette report says construction begins April 29.
The city has little say in the matter. Gale Price is with the city's community-development department. He said the church doesn't need a permit for the cross because the project is protected under a federal law prohibiting rules that burden the religious exercise of churches.
The pastor at New Life is the Rev. Michael Jackson. He said church members considered putting up a 100-foot cross but they thought it would look too ostentatious.
The cross will cost $60,000.19725702
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 reopens near Blue Mounds after semi vs. car crash
- Police: Family member found elderly woman dead in garage with head wound