JANESVILLE, Wis. - A Janesville church plans to erect a 60-foot lighted steel cross where it will be visible from the freeway.
New Life Assembly of God Church says the cross is a gift from the parishioners to the community. A Janesville Gazette report says construction begins April 29.
The city has little say in the matter. Gale Price is with the city's community-development department. He said the church doesn't need a permit for the cross because the project is protected under a federal law prohibiting rules that burden the religious exercise of churches.
The pastor at New Life is the Rev. Michael Jackson. He said church members considered putting up a 100-foot cross but they thought it would look too ostentatious.
The cross will cost $60,000.19725702
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue