MADISON, Wis. - A mother has been sentenced to probation, including a year in jail, for causing the death of her baby in Verona in August 2011.
Judge Stephen Ehlke imposed and stayed an eight-year prison sentence for 29-year-old Anne Olson, of Prairie du Sac. Ehlke said that even after all of the medical and scientific testimony in the case, he couldn't be sure what caused the death of 2-month-old Gabriel Olson.
Olson earlier pleaded guilty to second-degree reckless homicide. The defense argued Olson had been drinking, fell asleep on the couch and when she woke up, picked up the baby, then tripped and fell on top of him.
The State Journal reports the child's death was attributed to multiple head and abdominal injuries, including skull and rib fractures.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes