MADISON, Wis. - A mother has been sentenced to probation, including a year in jail, for causing the death of her baby in Verona in August 2011.
Judge Stephen Ehlke imposed and stayed an eight-year prison sentence for 29-year-old Anne Olson, of Prairie du Sac. Ehlke said that even after all of the medical and scientific testimony in the case, he couldn't be sure what caused the death of 2-month-old Gabriel Olson.
Olson earlier pleaded guilty to second-degree reckless homicide. The defense argued Olson had been drinking, fell asleep on the couch and when she woke up, picked up the baby, then tripped and fell on top of him.
The State Journal reports the child's death was attributed to multiple head and abdominal injuries, including skull and rib fractures.
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral