A date is set for an inquest into the death of a suspect while in Milwaukee police custody.
Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Kevin Martens said during a hearing Wednesday that the inquest into the death of Derek Williams will begin Feb. 11.
Martens says the inquest is expected to last a week.
Williams died in July 2011 after gasping for breath and begging for help for about eight minutes in the back of a Milwaukee police car.
An assistant medical examiner initially determined Williams' death was natural but changed the ruling to homicide after a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel investigation.
The Journal Sentinel reports special prosecutor John Franke will call witnesses and present other evidence before six jurors who will render an advisory verdict about whether criminal charges are warranted.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns