MADISON, Wis. - Icy conditions are causing major problems along rural highways in Dane County Friday morning, with slide-offs and black ice reported all around the county.
WI Highway 19 was closed near U.S. Highway 12 in the town of Springfield because of the conditions earlier Friday morning. Officials report at least five cars went off the road and a semi was blocking westbound lanes of 19.
Black ice is also reported on Highway K and Highway T in the town of Springfield, and Highway JG in Blue Mounds.
Traffic reporter Katie Austin is also reporting a number of slide-offs on Interstate 39-90 due to the fog.
Officials recommend drivers take extra time to make sure they get to where they want to go.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say