BURNETT TOWNSHIP, Wis. - A hunter was found by emergency crews Monday after he found himself stranded on an island in Horicon Marsh, according to the Dodge County Sheriff's Department.
Donald Schlegel, 74, of Horicon, was hunting alone on islands in the Horicon Marsh off Burnett Ditch Road in Burnett Township and became stranded when he was unable to locate his boat to return to the boat landing.
Deputies said he had no survival equipment or any way of contacting help.
His family found his truck and called for help.
Responders noticed a dim flashlight at 8:07 p.m. and were able to reach Schlegel, who was found safe. A boat was needed to retrieve him.
He was found between one and one and a half miles from the boat landing.
- 29-year-old man dies from injuries suffered in Beloit fire
- Suspended UW-Madison student wants sex charges dismissed
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates
- UWM instructor hopes students can find solution to lead problem
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash
- Assembly Republicans plan to add $300 million for roads