BURNETT TOWNSHIP, Wis. - A hunter was found by emergency crews Monday after he found himself stranded on an island in Horicon Marsh, according to the Dodge County Sheriff's Department.
Donald Schlegel, 74, of Horicon, was hunting alone on islands in the Horicon Marsh off Burnett Ditch Road in Burnett Township and became stranded when he was unable to locate his boat to return to the boat landing.
Deputies said he had no survival equipment or any way of contacting help.
His family found his truck and called for help.
Responders noticed a dim flashlight at 8:07 p.m. and were able to reach Schlegel, who was found safe. A boat was needed to retrieve him.
He was found between one and one and a half miles from the boat landing.
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Look, up in the sky! It's gypsy moth sprayers
- AG Schimel: Undercover campaign videos reveal no crime
- Oakcrest Tavern robbed at gunpoint at closing time, PD says
- State at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- 15-year-old girl shot with BB gun at Elver Park