BURNETT TOWNSHIP, Wis. - A hunter was found by emergency crews Monday after he found himself stranded on an island in Horicon Marsh, according to the Dodge County Sheriff's Department.
Donald Schlegel, 74, of Horicon, was hunting alone on islands in the Horicon Marsh off Burnett Ditch Road in Burnett Township and became stranded when he was unable to locate his boat to return to the boat landing.
Deputies said he had no survival equipment or any way of contacting help.
His family found his truck and called for help.
Responders noticed a dim flashlight at 8:07 p.m. and were able to reach Schlegel, who was found safe. A boat was needed to retrieve him.
He was found between one and one and a half miles from the boat landing.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry