BOYCEVILLE, Wis. - A Menomonie deer hunter is in critical condition after he was shot in the stomach by members of his own hunting party.
WEAU-TV reports 52-year-old Brian Kohnke was participating in a deer drive Thursday morning near Boyceville, about 15 miles north of Menomonie, when he was shot. He was flown to a hospital in St. Paul, Minn., and is in critical condition Friday.
A deer drive is a hunting technique in which hunters attempt to flush deer into firing lanes.
Bill Yearman of the Department of Natural Resources says about 20 hunters were involved in the deer drive and Kohnke was one of five standers. Yearman says a deer ran by and several shots were fired -- one hit Kohnke in the stomach.
The DNR is still investigating.
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother