PLATTEVILLE, Wis. - The discovery of what a homeowner thought was an old hand grenade prompted the evacuation of several homes in Platteville Friday, according to Platteville police.
Police were called to 595 Broadway St. at 6:36 p.m. by a homeowner who was going through old belongings and found what looked like an old hand grenade. Several nearby homes were evacuated and traffic was diverted around the home for about three hours.
Once assistance from Dane County arrived, deputies entered the home and removed the device. Police said the initial inspection showed the device was likely an active hand grenade.
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn