PLATTEVILLE, Wis. - The discovery of what a homeowner thought was an old hand grenade prompted the evacuation of several homes in Platteville Friday, according to Platteville police.
Police were called to 595 Broadway St. at 6:36 p.m. by a homeowner who was going through old belongings and found what looked like an old hand grenade. Several nearby homes were evacuated and traffic was diverted around the home for about three hours.
Once assistance from Dane County arrived, deputies entered the home and removed the device. Police said the initial inspection showed the device was likely an active hand grenade.
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two