PLATTEVILLE, Wis. - The discovery of what a homeowner thought was an old hand grenade prompted the evacuation of several homes in Platteville Friday, according to Platteville police.
Police were called to 595 Broadway St. at 6:36 p.m. by a homeowner who was going through old belongings and found what looked like an old hand grenade. Several nearby homes were evacuated and traffic was diverted around the home for about three hours.
Once assistance from Dane County arrived, deputies entered the home and removed the device. Police said the initial inspection showed the device was likely an active hand grenade.
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal