MADISON, Wis. - The friends and family of another man killed by Madison Police are filing a formal complaint with the Madison Police and Fire Commission.
Officer Stephen Heimsness remains on leave for the shooting death of Paul Heenan in November 2012.
Heenan's friends said Heimsness has a questionable record of using excessive force, and the Madison Police Department overlooked certain aspects of a witness account.
Heenan was mistakenly identified as a burglar by residents on the 500 block of Baldwin Street. Heenan was intoxicated and entered into a neighboring home.
During the encounter with Heimsness, Heenan approached the officer and was shot, according to police. Heimsness said that Heenan attempted to grab his gun in a scuffle, according to a news release by the Dane County District Attorney.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend