MADISON, Wis. - The friends and family of another man killed by Madison Police are filing a formal complaint with the Madison Police and Fire Commission.
Officer Stephen Heimsness remains on leave for the shooting death of Paul Heenan in November 2012.
Heenan's friends said Heimsness has a questionable record of using excessive force, and the Madison Police Department overlooked certain aspects of a witness account.
Heenan was mistakenly identified as a burglar by residents on the 500 block of Baldwin Street. Heenan was intoxicated and entered into a neighboring home.
During the encounter with Heimsness, Heenan approached the officer and was shot, according to police. Heimsness said that Heenan attempted to grab his gun in a scuffle, according to a news release by the Dane County District Attorney.
- Crews battle roof fire at McFarland cold storage facility
- Janesville high school holds safety workshop for girls
- James Brown's 'Funky Drummer' Clyde Stubblefield dies at 73
- Despite warm temps, Winter Fest, Polar Plunge continue as scheduled
- Bishop Morlino: Catholics can eat meat on St. Patrick's Day
- Wisconsin sees fewer snowy owls than in recent winters