MADISON, Wis. - The friends and family of another man killed by Madison Police are filing a formal complaint with the Madison Police and Fire Commission.
Officer Stephen Heimsness remains on leave for the shooting death of Paul Heenan in November 2012.
Heenan's friends said Heimsness has a questionable record of using excessive force, and the Madison Police Department overlooked certain aspects of a witness account.
Heenan was mistakenly identified as a burglar by residents on the 500 block of Baldwin Street. Heenan was intoxicated and entered into a neighboring home.
During the encounter with Heimsness, Heenan approached the officer and was shot, according to police. Heimsness said that Heenan attempted to grab his gun in a scuffle, according to a news release by the Dane County District Attorney.
- Madison family displaced after overnight fire
- Joint Finance Committee to consider UW tuition cut, performance funding
- One person dead after bizarre incident on I-94
- Madison officer who shot at Metro Market killer awarded
- Edgerton man calls for action over medical billing problem
- Coalition calls on city to immediately fund 15-point violence prevention plan