LA CROSSE, Wis. - Wisconsin can expect at least one more day of hot and steamy weather before seeing some relief.
Temperatures rose into the 90s across Wisconsin on Thursday. Milwaukee, Eau Claire and Menomonie reached 94, Waupaca hit 96 and La Crosse was at 97 by late afternoon.
The National Weather Service says heat index readings were near 100.
Rock County in southern Wisconsin opened several cooling centers so residents could find a place to beat the heat.
Forecasters expect a chance of rain to spread as far south as southern Wisconsin by late Thursday. But the heat and humidity will continue into Friday.
Highs will range from the low to mid 80s in northwestern Wisconsin to the low 90s in the south.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says