LA CROSSE, Wis. - Wisconsin can expect at least one more day of hot and steamy weather before seeing some relief.
Temperatures rose into the 90s across Wisconsin on Thursday. Milwaukee, Eau Claire and Menomonie reached 94, Waupaca hit 96 and La Crosse was at 97 by late afternoon.
The National Weather Service says heat index readings were near 100.
Rock County in southern Wisconsin opened several cooling centers so residents could find a place to beat the heat.
Forecasters expect a chance of rain to spread as far south as southern Wisconsin by late Thursday. But the heat and humidity will continue into Friday.
Highs will range from the low to mid 80s in northwestern Wisconsin to the low 90s in the south.
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs