LA CROSSE, Wis. - Wisconsin can expect at least one more day of hot and steamy weather before seeing some relief.
Temperatures rose into the 90s across Wisconsin on Thursday. Milwaukee, Eau Claire and Menomonie reached 94, Waupaca hit 96 and La Crosse was at 97 by late afternoon.
The National Weather Service says heat index readings were near 100.
Rock County in southern Wisconsin opened several cooling centers so residents could find a place to beat the heat.
Forecasters expect a chance of rain to spread as far south as southern Wisconsin by late Thursday. But the heat and humidity will continue into Friday.
Highs will range from the low to mid 80s in northwestern Wisconsin to the low 90s in the south.
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- Funding is available to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River