MADISON, Wis. - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources will hold a public hearing later this month on Gogebic Taconite's bulk sampling plan for a potential iron mine site just south of Lake Superior.
Gogebic Taconite is looking to dig a 4½-mile-long open pit mine in the Penokee Hills. The company has asked the DNR for permission to remove 4,000 tons of rock from the site for testing. The company plans to use excavation equipment or explosives.
The DNR has scheduled a public hearing on the company's proposal for Aug. 15 in Hurley. The hearing is slated to last all day. The agency will take written comments on the plan through Sept. 3 as well.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart