MADISON, Wis. - A business was evacuated after a detection system reported the presence of a toxic and potentially explosive compound Wednesday morning.
Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Lori Wirth said the situation involved low levels of the compound arsine that was detected at company Alfalight at 1832 Wright Street after 8 a.m.
The company designs and manufactures high-power diode lasers for the industrial, defense, and telecommunications markets.
The source of the compound was identified and crews began clearing the scene after 10 a.m. Fire officials said a piece of equipment was not shut down properly.
The building's ventilation system was used to clear the building of any residual gases leaked from the cylinders.
Roads in the area of Anderson and Wright streets were closed during the response.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes