MADISON, Wis. - The Red Cross is still looking for help this winter after blood drives had to be canceled due to the harsh winter weather.
The Red Cross provides needed blood to patients 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, and canceled blood drives mean the agency is short about 50,000 donations nationally and another 800 donations in Wisconsin.
"Unfortunately when we put them back on the books, we don't have the marketing and the build-up, and we can only collect about 60 to 70 percent ratio of what we would have collected the first time around," Red Cross spokesman Brian Gomez said.
Those looking to donate should call 1-800-RED-CROSS or go online.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls