The phone line of a North Street church in Madison was hacked Wednesday.
Police said the suspect used the phone line of United Methodist Church to place several long distance phone calls to numbers located in the Caribbean.
The phone service provider told the church's office manager that the voicemail pass code was too simple, and likely the route the suspect used to gain access to the line.
Police have not identified a suspect. Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel Despain said this kind of incident typically originates from overseas and that resource availability is issue in tracking them.
Police said the office manager has changed the voicemail pass code to make it more complex.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program