BELOIT, Wis. - Beloit police are asking gun owners to be more careful about securing firearms and keeping serial numbers after five guns were stolen from a home.
Police said a home in the 1500 block of Cleveland Avenue was burglarized Wednesday afternoon. A rear window was broken out and two flat-screen televisions, a laptop computer and five guns were taken.
The homeowner was able to provide serial numbers for two of the five guns. Police said that makes it difficult to return the other three if they're recovered and it makes it difficult to know where the guns came from if they're used in a crime.
The burglars took a Mossburg 500 shot gun, a .22-caliber Ithaca rifle, a .32-caliber special Winchester 94 rifle, a .380-caliber Taurus handgun and a .38-caliber Special Charter Ammo revolver. Police said several hundred rounds of ammunition, holsters and gun parts were also taken.
Beloit police said gun owners in the city should lock and secure their guns and keep serial numbers recorded and stored in a safe place.
- Suspected serial thief steals again, police say
- State manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Man scammed out of $4,300 by person claiming to be grandson
- Man stabs girlfriend in neck with scissors, police say
- Fremont woman accused in boyfriend's fatal stabbing is acquitted
- East Towne Mall employee attacked, robbed