BELOIT, Wis. - Beloit police are asking gun owners to be more careful about securing firearms and keeping serial numbers after five guns were stolen from a home.
Police said a home in the 1500 block of Cleveland Avenue was burglarized Wednesday afternoon. A rear window was broken out and two flat-screen televisions, a laptop computer and five guns were taken.
The homeowner was able to provide serial numbers for two of the five guns. Police said that makes it difficult to return the other three if they're recovered and it makes it difficult to know where the guns came from if they're used in a crime.
The burglars took a Mossburg 500 shot gun, a .22-caliber Ithaca rifle, a .32-caliber special Winchester 94 rifle, a .380-caliber Taurus handgun and a .38-caliber Special Charter Ammo revolver. Police said several hundred rounds of ammunition, holsters and gun parts were also taken.
Beloit police said gun owners in the city should lock and secure their guns and keep serial numbers recorded and stored in a safe place.
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral