JANESVILLE, Wis. - The man accused of hitting two motorcyclists and leaving the drivers to die in Janesville earlier this year pleaded guilty in Rock County court Thursday.
Sambath Pal, 24, of Park City, Illinois, was charged with two felony counts of hit-and-run resulting in death in connection with a crash April 20 that killed 24-year-old Mitchell Vance and 18-year-old Devin Julius. Both died when the motorcycles they were riding were hit.
Pal pleaded guilty to both counts Thursday, according to online court records. The judge had initially entered not guilty pleas on Pal's behalf, onMay 16, as Pal had stood mute in court.
The Janesville Gazette reported that Assistant District Attorney Anne Nack said Pal was not offered a deal in exchange for guilty pleas. Family members were in the courtroom but did not comment after the hearing.
A sentencing hearing is scheduled Oct. 1 at 3 p.m.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls