JANESVILLE, Wis. - The man accused of hitting two motorcyclists and leaving the drivers to die in Janesville earlier this year pleaded guilty in Rock County court Thursday.
Sambath Pal, 24, of Park City, Illinois, was charged with two felony counts of hit-and-run resulting in death in connection with a crash April 20 that killed 24-year-old Mitchell Vance and 18-year-old Devin Julius. Both died when the motorcycles they were riding were hit.
Pal pleaded guilty to both counts Thursday, according to online court records. The judge had initially entered not guilty pleas on Pal's behalf, onMay 16, as Pal had stood mute in court.
The Janesville Gazette reported that Assistant District Attorney Anne Nack said Pal was not offered a deal in exchange for guilty pleas. Family members were in the courtroom but did not comment after the hearing.
A sentencing hearing is scheduled Oct. 1 at 3 p.m.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets