JANESVILLE, Wis. - The man accused of hitting two motorcyclists and leaving the drivers to die in Janesville earlier this year pleaded guilty in Rock County court Thursday.
Sambath Pal, 24, of Park City, Illinois, was charged with two felony counts of hit-and-run resulting in death in connection with a crash April 20 that killed 24-year-old Mitchell Vance and 18-year-old Devin Julius. Both died when the motorcycles they were riding were hit.
Pal pleaded guilty to both counts Thursday, according to online court records. The judge had initially entered not guilty pleas on Pal's behalf, onMay 16, as Pal had stood mute in court.
The Janesville Gazette reported that Assistant District Attorney Anne Nack said Pal was not offered a deal in exchange for guilty pleas. Family members were in the courtroom but did not comment after the hearing.
A sentencing hearing is scheduled Oct. 1 at 3 p.m.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns