MADISON, Wis. - An organization worked to offset costs associated with back-to-school shopping for military families Thursday at the Dane County Fair.
Operation Homefront saved some of the costs for those families by providing free backpacks and school supplies.
Organizers said it is a great way to say thanks for service and to bring the community together.
"The best part of the event is that they're excited to get those supplies and kind of get ready to go back to school. Unfortunately, it's July; still a few weeks, but it's nice to see them get a little excited," said Darcy Clardy, with Operation Homefront.
The organization planned to give out about 150 backpacks at the Dane County Fair on Thursday, which was Military Appreciation Day.
- Hundreds sign student-led petition to change Madison high school name
- High river level delays Rock Aqua Jays' opening performance
- Med Flight responds to one-vehicle crash in Fitchburg
- Custodian at Madison school resigns after allegedly punching parent
- Fish kill hits Traxler Park Lagoon in Janesville
- German delegation studies Madison College cyber security program