MADISON, Wis. - An organization worked to offset costs associated with back-to-school shopping for military families Thursday at the Dane County Fair.
Operation Homefront saved some of the costs for those families by providing free backpacks and school supplies.
Organizers said it is a great way to say thanks for service and to bring the community together.
"The best part of the event is that they're excited to get those supplies and kind of get ready to go back to school. Unfortunately, it's July; still a few weeks, but it's nice to see them get a little excited," said Darcy Clardy, with Operation Homefront.
The organization planned to give out about 150 backpacks at the Dane County Fair on Thursday, which was Military Appreciation Day.
- Madison police to investigate attempted homicide
- Hotel Week attracts visitors and locals
- City clerk expects higher voter turnout for spring primary election than recent years
- UW program helps local cheesemaker make Best of Show cheese
- Fires at 2 separate houses cause combined $330K in damage, officials say
- Secrecy of $1M settlement questioned