MADISON, Wis. - An organization worked to offset costs associated with back-to-school shopping for military families Thursday at the Dane County Fair.
Operation Homefront saved some of the costs for those families by providing free backpacks and school supplies.
Organizers said it is a great way to say thanks for service and to bring the community together.
"The best part of the event is that they're excited to get those supplies and kind of get ready to go back to school. Unfortunately, it's July; still a few weeks, but it's nice to see them get a little excited," said Darcy Clardy, with Operation Homefront.
The organization planned to give out about 150 backpacks at the Dane County Fair on Thursday, which was Military Appreciation Day.
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Madison cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case