GREEN BAY, Wis. - The NEW Zoo in Green Bay is welcoming a pair of new snow monkeys.
A Japanese snow macaque named Usagi was born March 31.
Usagi means rabbit in Japanese. Zoo staff don't know yet if the monkey is a boy or a girl because its mother, Hoyo, is cuddling it closely.
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports Usagi marked the zoo's first birth of spring.
A male snow monkey was born Saturday, although he has not been named. A possible hormonal issue may have caused the mother, Hiromi, not to bond with the new monkey. Zoo staff now have to feed the monkey with a bottle.
Most primates live in tropical places, but Japanese snow macaques live in cold areas. The zoo now has 14 snow monkeys.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land