MADISON, Wis. - One of two 12-year-old Wisconsin girls charged as an adult with stabbing a classmate to please a fictional online horror character has been found mentally unable to stand trial.
A judge declared the girl incompetent Friday and ordered her committed for treatment. Two doctors who examined the girl had submitted reports saying they didn't think she was competent.
Court documents said the two 12-year-olds plotted for months to kill their former friend to win favor with Slender Man, a character in online horror stories. Documents said they lured the victim into a wooded park following a sleepover and stabbed her 19 times.
Attorneys for both girls have said they hope to have the cases moved from adult to juvenile court, where more mental health and other services might be available.
- Congress considering removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Surveillance video shows burglars breaking into Madison cellphone store
- Officials urge vaccinating horses against mosquito-spread diseases
- Man suffers ‘incapacitating injury' in Grant County crash, deputies say