MIDDLETON, Wis. - A Wisconsin chapter of a cancer-support group is removing a reference to Gilda Radner from its name, angering some fans of the former Saturday Night Live comedienne.
The Middleton chapter of Gilda's Club is changing its name to Cancer Support Community Southwest Wisconsin. Officials said one reason is because some people might not know who Radner was.
Radner died in 1989 of ovarian cancer.
Lannia Syren Stenz runs the Middleton chapter. She told the Wisconsin State Journal officials switched to a name that was more descriptive.
But Radner fans said a better solution is to educate people about who Radner was, not remove traces of her memory.
There are 56 chapters around the world. Twenty are known as Gilda's Club, three are Wellness Community and 23 are Cancer Support Community.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program