MADISON, Wis. - The Dane County Sheriff's Office said a garbage truck driver was pinned to the truck for about an hour Saturday after a crash on Pleasant View Drive at about 10 a.m.
Sheriff's officials said the man was outside of the garbage truck when a Chevrolet Malibu going south on Pleasant View in the Town of Dunkirk struck him, pinning the worker between the garbage truck and the car.
The Sheriff's Office said the garbage truck driver, Mark A. Friend, 36, of Ixonia, had to be extricated from between the two vehicles and was taken by Med Flight to UW Hospital in Madison with life-threatening injuries.
The driver of the Chevrolet Malibu, Brooke S. Wedeward, 21, of Stoughton, suffered only minor injuries and was treated and released from Stoughton Hospital.
Sheriff's officials said Monday that Friend remains in critical condition at the hospital.
The Sheriff's Office said the initial investigation into the cause of the crash points to obstructed visibility. Speed and alcohol are not considered factors in this crash, sheriff's officials said.
The incident remains an open investigation with the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral
- Ryan meets in Janesville with police chiefs from across US
- Review: MSO, APT craft annual 'Beyond the Score' concert