RICE LAKE, Wis. - Waupun officer Brad Young was arrested near Spooner after being on the run since Monday.
WEAU-TV quotes Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald as saying Young surrendered after a SWAT team surrounded him at a residence 10 miles west of Spooner.
Barron County sheriff's officials said a police officer wanted for burglarizing a Green Lake restaurant had stolen a second vehicle.
Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Young may have taken a 1996 white 4-door Nissan Maxima from a farm near Rice Lake. The sheriff's department issued a statewide alert for the vehicle.
Fitzgerald said Young led deputies on a car chase Monday evening and fled on foot into some woods near Rice Lake. Homes in the area were temporarily evacuated.
The Green Lake County Sheriff's Department said the 43-year-old officer, dressed in camouflage, broke into Walkers Kollerville Restaurant in Green Lake about 1 a.m. Monday. A deputy chased the suspect and lost him in a cornfield. A pickup truck was stolen from a nearby residence about two hours later.
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Stoughton man faces felony 7th OWI
- Highway 151 closed near Blue Mounds due to semi vs. car crash
- Police, medical examiner respond to suspicious death
- Construction continues on Capitol Square; new traffic pattern starts May 1