RICE LAKE, Wis. - Waupun officer Brad Young was arrested near Spooner after being on the run since Monday.
WEAU-TV quotes Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald as saying Young surrendered after a SWAT team surrounded him at a residence 10 miles west of Spooner.
Barron County sheriff's officials said a police officer wanted for burglarizing a Green Lake restaurant had stolen a second vehicle.
Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Young may have taken a 1996 white 4-door Nissan Maxima from a farm near Rice Lake. The sheriff's department issued a statewide alert for the vehicle.
Fitzgerald said Young led deputies on a car chase Monday evening and fled on foot into some woods near Rice Lake. Homes in the area were temporarily evacuated.
The Green Lake County Sheriff's Department said the 43-year-old officer, dressed in camouflage, broke into Walkers Kollerville Restaurant in Green Lake about 1 a.m. Monday. A deputy chased the suspect and lost him in a cornfield. A pickup truck was stolen from a nearby residence about two hours later.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need