FOUNTAIN CITY, Wis. - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is reopening a lock and dam on the Mississippi River near Fountain City after a towboat hit one of the gates.
The Corps says the tow was navigating downriver when it hit the lock gate Thursday. The accident caused significant damage to the upstream, right descending gate.
Corps engineers assessed the damage and determined the lock can remain open with some restrictions until the gate is replaced.
The replacement gate should arrive next week. No one was hurt in the accident and the barges did not contain any hazardous materials.
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn