FOUNTAIN CITY, Wis. - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is reopening a lock and dam on the Mississippi River near Fountain City after a towboat hit one of the gates.
The Corps says the tow was navigating downriver when it hit the lock gate Thursday. The accident caused significant damage to the upstream, right descending gate.
Corps engineers assessed the damage and determined the lock can remain open with some restrictions until the gate is replaced.
The replacement gate should arrive next week. No one was hurt in the accident and the barges did not contain any hazardous materials.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash