FOUNTAIN CITY, Wis. - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is reopening a lock and dam on the Mississippi River near Fountain City after a towboat hit one of the gates.
The Corps says the tow was navigating downriver when it hit the lock gate Thursday. The accident caused significant damage to the upstream, right descending gate.
Corps engineers assessed the damage and determined the lock can remain open with some restrictions until the gate is replaced.
The replacement gate should arrive next week. No one was hurt in the accident and the barges did not contain any hazardous materials.
- Majority of Superior shipyard workers test positive for lead
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out