A former pastor from Clark County has been sentenced to 1 1/2 years in prison for sexually assaulting a boy he met on the Internet.
Dane County prosecutors say 51-year-old Ervin Witmer, of Owen, talked to the boy in an online chat room for gay teens and became aware that he had been sexually abused as a youngster by a relative. He then arranged to meet him at a Madison motel.
Witmer was a pastor at the Church of the Brethren in Stanley until 2011, when he became a district manager for a Christian book distributor. The State Journal says Witmer pleaded guilty in October to one count of second-degree sexual assault of a child. Two other counts were dismissed but considered at sentencing.
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement