MADISON, Wis. - Three former Republican speakers of the state Assembly are now lobbying to expand school vouchers in Wisconsin.
Jeff Fitzgerald registered on Jan. 10 to lobby for School Choice Wisconsin, just days after his term ended. Another former Republican Assembly speaker, John Gard, is also registered as a lobbyist for the group. Its president is Jim Bender, a former legislative staffer who worked for Fitzgerald.
A third Republican former speaker, Scott Jensen, is a registered lobbyist for the American Federation for Children, another group that supports expanding vouchers.
Republican Gov. Scott Walker supports expanding vouchers, but he hasn't said what exactly his plan will look like.
Common Cause Wisconsin on Tuesday renewed its call for a prohibition on lawmakers becoming lobbyists immediately after leaving office.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire