FOND DU LAC, Wis. - A Fond du Lac professor will help study the rising suicide rate among U.S. Marines.
Janet McCord is an associate professor of thanatology in Marian University's School of Nursing and Health Professions. She has been trained by the American Association of Suicidology to study the psychological aspect of suicide.
The Journal Sentinel reported the researchers will interview relatives and friends of active-duty Marines who died by suicide between 2010 and 2012. Last year 48 active duty Marines died by suicide, including six suspected suicides that have yet to be confirmed.
Other branches of the military have also experienced a recent increase in suicides. The Army Study to Assess Risk and Resilience in Servicemembers is collecting information on Army suicides.
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Police questioning suspect in Middleton homicide
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two