MADISON, Wis. - Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald led all 132 state lawmakers in claims for daily expense reimbursements in 2012.
Newly released expense claim records for the year show Fitzgerald received $14,608 in the claims known as per diems. The second highest was Republican Assembly Majority Leader Scott Suder who received $13,112.
They are among 10 lawmakers who got $10,000 or more in per diems last year.
The claims cover food and lodging expenses while lawmakers are in Madison doing state business. Those who live in Dane County can get $44 a day while the rest receive $88 a day while in Madison above their annual salaries.
Assembly Speaker Robin Vos collected $9,856. He floated the idea of increasing per diems this year, but then dropped it.
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crash involving ambulance closes U.S. Highway 12
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal