MADISON, Wis. - School supplies are both essential and costly, but that financial pressure was alleviated for the parents of many area students thanks to an event Wednesday at East High School.
Vogel Brothers Building Company and firefighters from Local Union 311 teamed up to donate and drop off around $2,500 worth of school supplies.
Union President Mahlon Mitchell said the donation is just part of what firefighters do -- give back to the community.
"Obviously with it being school times there's people that are in need," Mitchell said. "There are kids that aren't able to buy school supplies. Their parents aren't able to afford them. So we just wanted to give back in the way we can."
The school supplies were dropped off at East High School, but they will be distributed among Madison schools.
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say