MADISON, Wis. - School supplies are both essential and costly, but that financial pressure was alleviated for the parents of many area students thanks to an event Wednesday at East High School.
Vogel Brothers Building Company and firefighters from Local Union 311 teamed up to donate and drop off around $2,500 worth of school supplies.
Union President Mahlon Mitchell said the donation is just part of what firefighters do -- give back to the community.
"Obviously with it being school times there's people that are in need," Mitchell said. "There are kids that aren't able to buy school supplies. Their parents aren't able to afford them. So we just wanted to give back in the way we can."
The school supplies were dropped off at East High School, but they will be distributed among Madison schools.
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother