MADISON, Wis. - School supplies are both essential and costly, but that financial pressure was alleviated for the parents of many area students thanks to an event Wednesday at East High School.
Vogel Brothers Building Company and firefighters from Local Union 311 teamed up to donate and drop off around $2,500 worth of school supplies.
Union President Mahlon Mitchell said the donation is just part of what firefighters do -- give back to the community.
"Obviously with it being school times there's people that are in need," Mitchell said. "There are kids that aren't able to buy school supplies. Their parents aren't able to afford them. So we just wanted to give back in the way we can."
The school supplies were dropped off at East High School, but they will be distributed among Madison schools.
- Judge denies motions to dismiss 4 charges against Alec Cook
- Man sentenced in heroin overdose death
- Man charged in fatal shooting of sheriff's deputy
- PD: Man hit in head, robbed during believed stereo equipment sale
- Wisconsin farmers could be affected by late cabinet pick
- MFD: 1 suffers minor injury in rollover crash on John Nolen Drive