SUPERIOR, Wis. - Relatives say the victim of a house fire in Superior was a retired music teacher.
Jean Sweeney retired from teaching at Superior High School in the mid-1990s. Her cousin, Dennis Arras, says Sweeney was talented, loving and kind.
The fire at Sweeney's home was reported just after 11 a.m. Monday. Fire officials said the flames and heat stopped efforts to search the home.
Arras said he was contacted by many of Sweeney's former students when he posted her death on Facebook. Katie Bates said Sweeney was one of her favorite teachers in high school. Bates said Sweeney was able to share her appreciation of music with students at their level.
The Duluth News Tribune reported that Sweeney was the hand-bell choir director at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, where she was a member.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK