SUPERIOR, Wis. - Relatives say the victim of a house fire in Superior was a retired music teacher.
Jean Sweeney retired from teaching at Superior High School in the mid-1990s. Her cousin, Dennis Arras, says Sweeney was talented, loving and kind.
The fire at Sweeney's home was reported just after 11 a.m. Monday. Fire officials said the flames and heat stopped efforts to search the home.
Arras said he was contacted by many of Sweeney's former students when he posted her death on Facebook. Katie Bates said Sweeney was one of her favorite teachers in high school. Bates said Sweeney was able to share her appreciation of music with students at their level.
The Duluth News Tribune reported that Sweeney was the hand-bell choir director at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, where she was a member.
- Funding is available to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas