SUPERIOR, Wis. - Relatives say the victim of a house fire in Superior was a retired music teacher.
Jean Sweeney retired from teaching at Superior High School in the mid-1990s. Her cousin, Dennis Arras, says Sweeney was talented, loving and kind.
The fire at Sweeney's home was reported just after 11 a.m. Monday. Fire officials said the flames and heat stopped efforts to search the home.
Arras said he was contacted by many of Sweeney's former students when he posted her death on Facebook. Katie Bates said Sweeney was one of her favorite teachers in high school. Bates said Sweeney was able to share her appreciation of music with students at their level.
The Duluth News Tribune reported that Sweeney was the hand-bell choir director at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, where she was a member.
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls
- UW study uses video games to help smokers quit
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors