SUPERIOR, Wis. - Relatives say the victim of a house fire in Superior was a retired music teacher.
Jean Sweeney retired from teaching at Superior High School in the mid-1990s. Her cousin, Dennis Arras, says Sweeney was talented, loving and kind.
The fire at Sweeney's home was reported just after 11 a.m. Monday. Fire officials said the flames and heat stopped efforts to search the home.
Arras said he was contacted by many of Sweeney's former students when he posted her death on Facebook. Katie Bates said Sweeney was one of her favorite teachers in high school. Bates said Sweeney was able to share her appreciation of music with students at their level.
The Duluth News Tribune reported that Sweeney was the hand-bell choir director at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, where she was a member.
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says
- Man pulls gun during road rage incident, police say
- Police warn of kidnapping scam
- Driver injured in suspected OWI rollover, deputies say