JANESVILLE, Wis. - No one was injured in a fire that destroyed a pole shed in Janesville and caused $115,000 worth of damage, officials said.
Crews responded to 2828 W. Rockport Road for reports of a structure fire around 7:35 a.m. Tuesday, according to a release. Smoke from the fire was visible as fire crews left their stations.
Officials said the 100-by-35 foot garage was fully involved in fire and smoke when crews got to the scene.
The renter of the property told investigators he started the wood burner around 3 a.m. because he was going to work in the garage, officials said. He said he kept checking to make sure everything was working properly, but in between visits to the garage, a passerby stopped and said the garage was on fire.
Officials said the cause of the fire was the wood burner. Damage is being estimated at $40,000 for the structure and $75,000 for the contents of the shed.
A backhoe was brought in to assist with pulling apart the structure to insure all fire was knocked down, according to the release.
A bus from Janesville Transit was used to warm crews, and make sure firefighters stayed hydrated and had breaks, according to the release. Crews were on scene for approximately four hours.
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- Funding is available to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River