MADISON, Wis. - A fire at a duplex in Madison caused by unattended grease on a stove displaced two families Sunday, according to the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters were called to 6212 Raymond Road shortly after 8 p.m. when the occupant of a duplex noticed smoke coming from electrical outlets. The man and his sister went outside and saw fire in the other side of the duplex through sliding glass doors. No one was at home at the time of the fire.
Firefighters reported seeing smoke coming through the second floor of the duplex when they arrived. The fire was extinguished within five minutes, according to fire officials.
The fire did extensive damage to the first floor and smoke damage extended throughout the home, including the other side of the duplex.
One firefighter was injured and treated at the scene.
Damage is estimated at $80,000.
Two adults and six children were displaced. The Red Cross is working with the families.
- Surveillance video shows burglars breaking into Madison cellphone store
- Records show little GOP feedback to state education plan
- Lincoln Hills psychologist dismissed
- Kenosha teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Milwaukee-bound man removed from flight for using bathroom before takeoff