MADISON, Wis. - A fire damaged part of the downtown restaurant about noon on Monday.
Madison firefighters put out the fire at Amy's Cafe, which was in the building's basement, in minutes. The building is located on the 400 block of West Gilman Street.
Firefighters also evacuated residents from the building's second-floor apartments. Fire authorities said no one was hurt.
Fire authorities said damage was confined to the basement, with some light smoke damage on the first floor, which is where Amy's Cafe is located.
The Department of Public Health for Madison & Dane County will conduct an inspection of the restaurant before it reopens.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration
- Child expert weighs in on search for 9-month-old
- Sheriff warns of phone scammer pretending to be deputy
- Warm weather is melting away profits in the winter sports industry