MADISON, Wis. - A fire damaged part of the downtown restaurant about noon on Monday.
Madison firefighters put out the fire at Amy's Cafe, which was in the building's basement, in minutes. The building is located on the 400 block of West Gilman Street.
Firefighters also evacuated residents from the building's second-floor apartments. Fire authorities said no one was hurt.
Fire authorities said damage was confined to the basement, with some light smoke damage on the first floor, which is where Amy's Cafe is located.
The Department of Public Health for Madison & Dane County will conduct an inspection of the restaurant before it reopens.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms