BURLINGTON, Wis. - A fire at a food processing plant in southeastern Wisconsin has been contained after crews battled the blaze overnight.
Local residents who'd been evacuated have been allowed to return home.
The fire broke out Wednesday evening at the Echo Lake Foods plant in Burlington. Police evacuated about 50 people who live near the plant, and they were allowed to return home Thursday morning.
No injuries have been reported.
Burlington Mayor Bob Miller said hazardous-materials handlers secured the area where chemical tanks are stored.
State emergency officials said there was a "minor release" of ammonia residue from pipes and hazmat specialists are monitoring air quality.
Firefighters from more than 80 fire departments from southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois took turns fighting the raging blaze. Fire officials said the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Many in Burlington are now concerned with bringing back the 300 jobs lost at the plant that makes bulk egg products.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire