MADISON, Wis. - A fire Thursday broke out on the second floor of a State Street retailer, causing about $100,000 in damage, authorities said.
At about 3:45 p.m., Madison fire crews were dispatched to 329 State St. for a report of a fire in the Ragstock store office, which is located above the retail shop.
Crews said they observed smoke and flames on arrival. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to locate the seat of the fire, according to the report.
To release the smoke and hot gases, firefighters ventilated the building by breaking several windows. Multiple stores are adjacent to Ragstock, but the fire department said there was minimal or no damage to those structures.
Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Bernadette Galvez said the fire was extinguished in 15 minutes.
Galvez also said damage to the building is estimated at $30,000 and another $70,000 to contents.
The report did not indicate a cause for the fire and officials said the fire is under investigation.
Ragstock, a store selling new and recycled clothing and accessories, is just around the corner from Fire Station No. 1, which is at 315 W. Dayton St.
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees