MADISON, Wis. - Madison fire investigators say they believe a fire that caused $150,000 in damage to a west side home Sunday was caused by fireplace ashes.
The ashes had been discarded into a garbage container in the home's attached garage, according to Madison fire officials.
The family is displaced from its home at 121 High Point Road. The fire destroyed two cars and caused heat and smoke damage throughout the house.
Fire officials said they were able to knock down the fire before it spread through the rest of the house.
Two people were home when the fire started at around 7:40 p.m. Authorities said they escaped safely.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes