BELOIT, Wis. - A house fire in Beloit on Thursday morning was caused by a burning candle that was left on a bed by a child, according to a release.
Officials said there was heavy smoke showing and the fire was starting to extend up the side of house in the 500 block of Highland Avenue when crews arrived around 10:30 a.m.
The occupants of the apartment were home at the time of the fire, according to the release. One of the occupants was examined on scene for chest pain, but refused transport.
Investigators said the fire was contained to the southeast bedroom, which was where the fire started.
Damage to the structure and contents of the apartment are estimated at $30,000, according to the release. Another apartment attached to the original apartment was undamaged.
- GOP Legislature calls redistricting ruling 'dangerous'
- Crazylegs run/walk to close many downtown streets Saturday
- Dane County to acquire 130 acres along Yahara River
- 4 juveniles suspected of damaging maliboxes in rural Portage, Pardeeville areas
- 2 on moped injured in downtown Madison crash, officials say
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Ag secretary to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers