MADISON, Wis. - At least 10 people have been displaced in a fire in a downtown apartment complex, officials said.
Firefighters responded around 12:40 p.m. to Uncommon Apartments in the 100 block of North Bedford Street, according to a release.
Firefighters said an automatic sprinkler kept the fire contained to the room where the fire started. That room sustained smoke and fire damage.
A resident told officials they were burning a candle in the room before the fire broke out, according to the release.
Apartments below the fourth-floor unit sustained water damage on the floors and ceilings, officials said.
All of the displaced residents affected had renters insurance. An estimate of damage is not available.
No one was injured.
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say