MADISON, Wis. - The woman who allegedly took her half-sister's 5-day-old baby from a Beloit home on Feb. 6 has officially been charged with kidnapping, according to a state Department of Justice release.
Kristen Smith, 31, of Aurora, Colo., was originally charged with kidnapping in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Madison on Feb. 7, according to the release. She was arrested in West Branch, Iowa, on Feb. 6 and has been in custody there since her arrest.
Smith allegedly took 5-day-old Kayden Powell and left him behind an Iowa gas station, in freezing temperatures. He was found alive 29 hours later.
If convicted, Smith faces life in federal prison, according to the release.
Smith will be brought to Wisconsin by federal law enforcement officials this week, officials said. Her initial appearance is scheduled for Friday.
- Circus World director 'optimistic' in wake of Ringling Bros. shutdown
- Missing Beloit man found dead
- Billion dollar company plans for joint venture
- Superior boat builder secures $6M contract for Texas project
- Man suffers serious injuries in snowmobile rollover
- Janesville police looking for accused Target thief