MADISON, Wis. - The woman who allegedly took her half-sister's 5-day-old baby from a Beloit home on Feb. 6 has officially been charged with kidnapping, according to a state Department of Justice release.
Kristen Smith, 31, of Aurora, Colo., was originally charged with kidnapping in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Madison on Feb. 7, according to the release. She was arrested in West Branch, Iowa, on Feb. 6 and has been in custody there since her arrest.
Smith allegedly took 5-day-old Kayden Powell and left him behind an Iowa gas station, in freezing temperatures. He was found alive 29 hours later.
If convicted, Smith faces life in federal prison, according to the release.
Smith will be brought to Wisconsin by federal law enforcement officials this week, officials said. Her initial appearance is scheduled for Friday.
- Crews sent to 3-car crash on East Washington Avenue
- Car accident on eastbound beltline backs up traffic
- Newly renovated Milton Public Library reopens
- Lego robotics championship encourages students to solve real-world problems
- Mother of murdered twin infants shines light on domestic violence, child abuse
- Wisconsin River flooding causes road closure