BELOIT, Wis. - A fire that killed two people and hospitalized another in Beloit was accidental, according to the Beloit Fire Department.
Fire officials said the March 5 fire at 1950 Fairview Drive started in the dining room in the rear of the home, and could have been started by different items, including a ceiling light fixture, wiring associated with the light fixture, light bulbs or a humidifier. They have not determined which item might have caused the fire.
There were two battery-operated smoke detectors in the home, one in the basement and one on the main level of the home, authorities said.
Clint Christensen, 61, and Jamie Christensen, 33, died in the fire. Caren Christensen, 60, was treated and released from University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice is investigating, along with the state fire marshall.
As many as 30 firefighters were at the scene.
- All Iowa County roads reported as ice covered, hazardous
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need